Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shakes for breakfast




Vivi has been in a bit of a breakfast rut. Although she doesn't seem to mind eating Honey Nut Cheerios every morning, I go crazy giving her the same thing every day. My offers of eggs, yogurt, toast with peanut butter all get answered with the same, "No," in a tone of complete annoyance. So I dug out the old shake maker machine from the back of the cabinet and decided that we would have shakes for breakfast.

Rather than making smoothies, which would require the blender, I opted for more of a New England style shake, i.e., no ice-cream. Whereas for most of the country a shake automatically means ice cream, in New England that would be a frappe. I can remember the first time I made the mistake of ordering a shake in a Boston ice-cream parlor and, boy, was I disappointed when all I got was a big cup of chocolate milk. Tasty, but not quite what I had in mind at the time. However, by telling a 5 year old we can make shakes just like they make them where Papa went to school, the lack of ice-cream comes in handy.

Vivi was excited by the machine itself, and she insisted on helping make the first batch. So in went some yogurt, some berries, and milk. Turn on the machine and watch it froth up. Now, keep in mind that a lot of the fruit will sink to the bottom of the cup and not get crushed, so you need to serve this with a spoon and a straw. Vivi didn't like the pieces of fruit in her cup so we made a second batch of simply yogurt and milk. She downed it just as we headed to the door for the bus. I finished off the rest and felt good that Vivi had more than just Cheerios for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment