Thursday, April 29, 2010

How we spent Earth Day




I know Earth Day was last week, but I wanted to post these pictures of how we celebrated Mother Earth. We got our hands and feet (Vivi!) dirty by tilling the garden. Unfortunately the tiller I rented didn't work as well as we had hoped (the blade-depth adjuster was broken and we could only go down a few inches), but it was great to stir it all up.

When we were shopping for houses last summer, we kept coming back to this one over and over. Part of the appeal was the backyard and the garden. Although nothing was planted in the garden (the previous owners had already moved out), the soil was just begging for some attention. So I was eager to get out there and start digging. Actually there is one thing growing: rhubarb. You can see the plants in the background of the picture. Anyone have a recipe for strawberry-rhubarb pie?

The garden is pretty big, and I didn't want to take on more than I could handle. So I only tilled part of it—20 feet by 25 feet, which should be enough space to plant the seeds I ordered: lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, peas, and cucumbers. Some of these need to get in the ground right away, but before I plant anything I need to put a fence around the garden. I assumed I had deer nibbling at my tulips but I haven't seen any. Instead, I think we might have some hungry rabbits. So I'm not sure if I can get away with just a 4-foot fence or if I should go for the taller deer fence. Any suggestions? That's this weekend's project. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment