Tuesday, May 25, 2010

En garde! The fencing has begun



I got the chicken wire fencing and metal posts, and three hours later I had a fenced in garden. It was easier to do than I thought it would be. The hardest part was getting the fencing tight enough. I initially planned to run the posts every five feet apart, but the guy at Agway suggested doing every ten feet, and if the fence was drooping just use a wooden stake at five feet to pick up the slack. I only had to do that twice. I think it turned out pretty good.

To make sure that the bunnies stay out, I installed the fence at 4 feet high with an extra foot resting on the ground to prevent any critters from digging under the fence. Then I took some old planks from the compost bin in the back of the yard and ringed the edges of the garden with those.

I found an old window frame in the shed and wrapped the left over chicken wire around it to make a gate. I nailed some broken pieces from an old wooden privacy fence on the top to make a handle so that we aren't grabbing any stray, jagged edges of chicken wire. It has instant charm. Now I need to get the last two posts in the ground and hinge the gate to one of them. That wil require a post digger. I just hope this turns out better than the ladder fiasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment