Thursday, May 27, 2010

Serving Suggestion: Flank steak and arugula



Sometimes there are dishes that I make that are so simple that they don't really have a recipe. It's usually something that I've made so many times that I've memorized the list of ingredients and I don't measure anything, I eyeball it. Or sometimes it's a dish that is exactly what it says it is, such as Flank Steak with Arugula. I like to refer to these dishes as serving suggestions. No recipe, no measuring. Just a simple combination of food. The perfect antidote to the midweek dinner brain freeze.

I've posted before about pan grilling a steak, and I can't stress how easy it is to do. I was always skeptical of the idea, but now I find that we do it every few weeks, whenever we get that hankering for a hunk of meat. I just bought a huge (I mean huge) container of arugula, and I figured the peppery greens would be a perfect partner with steak.

Here's my serving suggestion: salt and pepper both sides of the steak, massage some olive oil into the meat. Get a grill pan or cast iron skillet really hot (if you're using the grill, better yet). Put the steak in the pan for 6 minutes per side for medium rare. Let the meat rest for about 5 to 10 minutes to continue cooking slightly. Slice thinly across the grain. Toss greens with a drizzle of olive oil and small splash of balsamic vinegar. Make a bed of greens on each dinner plate and top with the sliced steak. That's it.

Now I need to come up with a few more ideas with arugula. I think I'll try to make a pesto. Anyone have any other arugula recipes or serving suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I just wake up from sleep and I am already reading your blog. This signifies something! Very useful ideas. Thanks!

    Gourmet Secrets

    ReplyDelete