Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fourth of July recap


We had a great time over the holiday weekend despite the relentless heat. Vivi had a blast setting up a lemonade stand with her Auntie and a few of my cousins, who stopped by for a bbq.


My sister squeezed the juice out of 17 lemons by hand! Next time I'll bring a juicer for her. We got two cars to stop, and the family got very thirsty sitting in the sun watching all the other cars speed by without stopping. Guess what? Vivi does not offer a family discount! So, all in all, she walked away with her target goal of $6. Now she can buy that stuffed SpongeBob she saw a few weeks ago. I put the left over lemonade in ice-pop molds. They were super sour, but very refreshing after a day of kayaking.


The grill got some action: chicken breasts got dressed up with a mango/chili marinade one night, burgers and brats another night. I picked more radishes from the garden and tossed them into a pasta salad. We had a late lunch on Monday before heading back to the city, so my plan of grilling some pork chops got nixed. My cousin Debbie made an icebox cake, which is chocolate cookie wafers with whipped cream. I can remember eating this cake as a kid. Mom made a blueberry buckle, which I forgot to take a picture of. It made for a great breakfast the next morning with some yogurt and more berries. I'm going to get both of those recipes and post them soon.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, grew up eating icebox cake. My mom made it all the time, only she made hers with graham crackers and chocolate and vanilla pudding. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I thought I was the only one who made blueberry buckle! Glad to know your family enjoys it, too. I originally got the recipe from my friend Tara's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivi looks so cute! I used to make those stands too. I'm glad she has the opportunity upstate to do it also!

    ReplyDelete