Friday, July 9, 2010

Meatballs with spinach



When I worked for Cookie magazine I edited a weekly recipe newsletter. The recipes were "kid-approved" meals from the parents on the staff. Our executive editor, Alanna Stang, submitted a recipe for turkey meatballs with spinach. I finally got around to trying it a few weeks ago, and it will definitely be in heavy rotation in my home.

I made a few changes to Alanna's original recipe. She used ground turkey, but I substituted mixed meat (beef, veal, pork) for the turkey, and I baked them rather than frying them as she suggested. I left my food processor upstate, so I chopped the ingredients by hand, which produced bigger chunks of onion and pine nuts. If you're making these for a picky eater, I would suggest using the food processor to blend all the ingredients together, and to hide those pesky onions.

Vivi and I ate them with spaghetti tossed with butter and garlic, which she told me she wouldn't eat because she doesn't like garlic. After a little coaxing, she tried the pasta and the meatballs and said, "You're right Papa, I do like this." I savor moments like that.

Fred wasn't home that night so he tried the leftovers a few nights later and he just asked me today when I would be making them again. In fact, he just bought some more mixed meat. I think that was a hint that I should make them soon.

Here's the recipe.

Adapted from Alanna Stang's recipe.

1 pound ground mixed meat
1 small garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs (or 1 cup, if adding the spinach)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons toasted, chopped pine nuts
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves (preferably flat-leafed)
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1/3 cup of chopped, cooked spinach (I used frozen. The key is to make sure it's well drained before adding it to the meat mixture)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper


Preheat oven to 350°.

In the food processor blend together all ingredients. You'll get a sticky, slightly green mixture.

Using hands (wet them slightly so the meat won't stick to your fingers), form it into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter.

Place meatballs on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment